Dada Vaswani, head of Sadhu Vaswani Mission was a great Philanthropist, Philosopher, Author, Poet and a thrilling international speaker. During his last visit to Chicago, he presented at Chinmaya Mission Chicago a talk on “Art of Happy Home and Family”.
Excerpts of the ten points he presented:
- Avoid the next quarrel: Never lose temper at the same time. Don’t let the sun set on your quarrels (Never prolong fights if at all started). It is OK to say “I am sorry” to your spouse.
- Do not expect perfection from your spouse:Marriage is coming together of two imperfect beings. Don’t expect wife or husband to like this or that, accept them as they are.
- Be a Good Listener: Don’t interrupt your spouse when he/she is speaking. Think before speaking, it is a good idea to weigh before you speak. You are master of unspoken words but slave of spoken words. Better than listening from ear is listening through mind (with attention) and better than that is listening from heart.
- Be a good forgiver: Some people forgive but they keep the memory alive or they forgive conditionally. Forgiveness should be complete and unconditional.
- Grow in the spirit of humility: Be humble. Egos bring arrogance which divide and separate people.
- Learn the art of appreciation: We all like to be appreciated. Not being appreciated by the spouses is one of the biggest complaint. Always appreciate in front of others. Never criticize your spouse in a company of friends and relatives, you will get opportunities in privacy.
- Do not argue: Winning love and friendship is far greater than winning an argument. It is OK to discuss with a open mind. Learn to win love and affection rather than arguments.
- Develop healthy sense of humor: Learn to laugh and be cheerful. It is a great tonic for healthy living and being accepted by friends. It is important to laugh with others and NOT at others.
- Always lend a helpful hand: You will win over if you have this attitude of offering a helpful hand with or without asking.
- Bring GOD back into your home: This is one of the most important one. Have a common time for prayers. It brings families ogether. Families that pray together stays together.